From early January till end of March 2013, the Direction of Wildlife and Hunting from the Ministry of Waters and Forests commissioned a study related to the density and distribution of the elephants in the Azagny NP (81,9 km of transects covered) to the ENVAL Cabinet. The findings are:
• No HEC around the ANP recorded the last 2 years (Interviews with villagers around the park)
• No dung found and no fresh traces found (except one of a small/young elephant in the East of the Park)
• Only 3 to 6 months old prints on 2 transects in South -East of the park (difficult to access for pedestrians)
• According to interviews carried out with hunters, in 2010 there were around 9/10 young elephants – At the time of this study, they were estimated to be 3
• One elephant carcasse found on a transect
► in 2002, Nandjui had recorded 35 dungs over 18,78 km of transects.
Source:Sissler-Bienvenu, C. (2016). Personal Communication: Elephant Distribution in Cote d'Ivoire. E-mail to C. Thouless, 23 May, 2016.